Founded in 1912, Loreto College is a womens college affiliated to Calcutta University. It was the first college in West Bengal to be assessed by NAAC. It was awarded the highest rating of five stars in 2000. The College was Re-accredited by NAAC in December 2006 and was awarded an A grade. The College had the 3rd Cycle of Re-accreditation by NAAC in September 2012 and was awarded an A grade. The B.Ed. Department, founded in 1913, is recognized by the N.C.T.E. and was awarded the B++ grade by NAAC in 2003. The Department was re-accredited in 2009 and was awarded an A grade. The UGC has recognised Loreto College as a College with Potential for Excellence in 2006 and again in 2011. Currently, there are approximately 800 students in the College.
The courses offered at this college include B.A. (Honours & General) in Education, English, History, Political Science, Psychology & Geography ; B.Sc. (Honours &.General) in Geography & Economics ; B.A. (General) in Bengali, Hindi, Economics, Journalism, Film Studies, Human Rights & Mathematics.
The University Grants Commission has awarded the college with a new Certified Career Oriented Course, Human Rights & Empowerment with effect from July 2013. This course is conducted after college hours by trained professionals. Special coaching Classes will be conducted for those students who endeavour to appear for the Public Services Examination.
The College also has a self-financing Computer Centre, which aims to inculcate computer literacy and proficiency in all students. The College Library, with an excellent collection of academic books, is computerized. Internet access is available for staff and students alike, to inculcate the spirit of research. Extra-curricular activities are encouraged by the College, through the active and popular student societies. The College hosts an annual inter-collegiate Test known as "SAMAGAM".
Loreto College aims to develop not only high academic standards but also to inculcate values of leadership, commitment and selfless service, aiming at sustainable development. A Womens Cell was opened in 1996 by committed staff members (retired and current) as well as students and friends of the College, which provides adult literacy programme for disadvantaged young women.